I've taken quite an extensive break form these, but here we go! A breakdown of the designs of each of the MLP gala dresses I did this year, continuing with Fluttershy!
I will be making collages like these for all the dresses this week, but until then to see the entire group photo, click here,
.See Applejack here!See Twilight Sparkle here!See Pinkie Pie here!See Rarity here!
Next up: Rainbow Dash
Let it first be known that I am 100% aware that I am not a crazy awesome artist like many of my friends, and so keep that in mind when pointing and laughing at the mitton hands.
*********I um...would really appreciate if you'd let me design your dress...you know...if you think that would be okay...
I really struggled designing this dress at first; this was the perfect example of having to design away from the original pony concept, because the elements didn't always translate well into human form. I had to get creative with how to corporate certain details, like the floral touches and the butterfly. Designing this dress was the opposite experience of Twilight Sparkle, whose dress I could see in my head before pencil ever touched paper. I sketched her three times before I started to like the direction, meanwhile, all the other gala dress designs were completed and waiting to get started. I wanted to give her a wispy, nymph-like look without being too fluffy cheeseball or too sexy.
In addition to being the most difficult to design, this was also the trickiest pattern for me to structure out, and I spent the most time on this pattern compared to the others. Conversely, once the pattern was perfected, it was the easiest dress to build, and was actually the first one completed. Go figure.Go organic.
The basic look of Fluttershy's dress stayed pretty true to design, but the fabric choices ended up being drastically different than what I originally intended, as well as the details (such as the floral embroidery, all hand cut from originating fabric, and sewn on piece by piece on the handkerchief hem). The only verbal description Rarity gives us for this concept is "breezy", so I originally planned on chiffons and muslins. I didn't easily find these fabrics in the right colors/textures, but started to come across other interesting options, like the very lightweight light/dark tiedye with shimmer, and the green floral embroidered train, and the floral appliques. These new options opened up a different direction for me, one that I felt was very appropriate for Fluttershy: ORGANIC. Flutterbutt
Once I accepted the idea of organic versus breezy, the dress came together like butta. Less Disney princess, more Poison Ivy. PandaTreats really had the perfect body for a dress like this, and it hugs her and flows from her like a second skin. The cascading floral-embroidered train in back was not part of the original design, but it kind of presented itself (dare I say it) organically while I was playing around with ideas. It's my favorite part of the dress, and because of it, I started henceforth referring to the dress as "Flutterbutt". So much, that now when I begin to type "Fluttershy" in texts, my phone tries to autocorrect it to "Flutterbutt". No regrets.What I would change for next time
Out of all six dresses, and for all the mental grief this dress caused me in the beginning, I have to say that I really feel this one came out near flawless. If I were to nitpick, I'd say maybe we could reimagine the blue drape, merely because we all forgot about it and PandaTreats threw it together rather last-minute, but honestly...I wouldn't change anything on this dress.
The process of building all six MLP gala dresses took about a year to plan and bring together. I believe we all agreed to put a go on Operation Best Night Ever about a month after Dragoncon 2011, where we had debuted our original My Little Pony group. Gala dresses were the obvious next step. I asked the girls if they would let me design and make the outfits, knowing that I was going to both love and regret it later. But mostly love. All my love.
During the design process, which took place between October and December of 2011, I spent a lot of time considering all the different elements. It was important to me to stay as true as possible to gowns as designed through the television program, and yet somehow make them translate gracefully into human interpretations. The real challenge was ensuring that the gowns would also be both flattering and comfortable for each girl.
Some designs were easier to convert than others. Sometimes I found that what I illustrated wasn’t going to translate well onto a body (either because of what it would do to the silhouette, or because it looked too cartoonish), and I had to adjust accordingly.
Design sketch by ~ me!
Modeled by ~ PandaTreats!
Photo by ~ Eurobeat Kasumi